Saturday, September 6, 2014

Stop Stressing.

Hey guys! Today I wanted to talk, well- I guess write, about something we all struggle with. Stress! Ahhh the oh so lovely word... even if we don't like to admit it, we all tend to stress too much over things that we shouldn't.

We have to remember the things in life that are important and deserve are full attention, and the things that don't. Of course everyone is going to be unique, but I'm sure we can all relate. Things like our job, school, family, relationships, and our faith are all very important things. But sometimes we let petty things take over our lives and get in the way- like looking a certain way, social media, television, trying to fit in, fitness, whatever it is... And it's okay to have things you like to do to unwind like shopping, working out, your favorite t.v show- but they shouldn't become such an "obsessive" priority that you start to slack on your real priorities. Sometimes the stress we feel is really just stress that we are creating ourselves, by focusing too much on these secondary things, and feeling like we are trying to "squeeze in" the more primary things in our life.




When I wake up and feel stressed or overwhelmed at all things I have to get done, I take a step back and make a list of the most important things that NEED to get done. Then what I WANT to get done if I have time. And sometimes "making time" for something is as simple is giving up that 10 minutes of Pinterest in the morning. (I know ya didn't want to heat that one...) Working out is a priority of mine, in the grand scheme of things, but if I'm so busy that day with things like golf, family, church, school, and friends, I'll just skip it. I used to "have to find time to workout" and I would find it cutting into other aspects of my day. Missing one workout is NOT going to kill me. It's not being lazy, it's  being practical. Working out is not a "need to get done" on your list, it's a "want to get done."  Typing up a new blog post is a "want to get done". Typing your english paper that's due tommororow is a "need to get done."

I hope this is making sense. But all I'm trying to say is that sometimes all it takes is a little reevaluating of your priorities. You want to enjoy yourself, but sometimes just getting your "need to" things done first relives so much unneeded stress. It's all about finding a balance.

Another way we, and I do mean I, tend to stress is by trying to be "perfect." We all know there is no such thing as perfect, yet we all still seem to try pretty darn hard. And I don't know about you...but that's pretty stressful. For example, stressing about eating healthy is not healthy. Stress does way more damage to your health than a cheeseburger ever will. If eating healthy is stressing you out, you're not doing it right. And trust me, I've been there and I'm working on that. Along the same lines- working out should relieve stress (because it's something you enjoy) not cause it (because you dread it ). If working out is causing you more stress, than it defeats the purpose.

Anytime I feel overwhelmed with life, I ask God to help me take it one day at a time. He helps me see what's really important. Instead of stressing and complaining, I should be thankful with for life that keeps me on my toes.

And to end my little rant about stress... sometimes ya just gotta ask yourself "is it really worth stressing out about ?"

 The answer is usually "No."

XoXo,
Stephanie



No comments:

Post a Comment