Monday, November 10, 2014

My Top Foods for Healthy Skin



I get asked all the time what's my secret for glowing skin. Honestly, I keep my skin care super simple- but I do think my diet plays a big role in it! While I don't eat 100% healthy, 100% of the time- I do aim to incorporate vitamin/mineral- rich fruits and veggies and healthy fats every day. And LOTS of water! Hydration is key! But secondly, it comes down to food. What you put into your body shows on the outside- not just through "weight" or "muscle tone", but also in your skin!!! Healthy fats and antioxidants are some of the most important nutrients for glowing skin. Here are some of my favorite foods for healthy skin and why they're so amazing:


1. AVOCADOS  These kind of have everything. They’re super rich in healthy monounsaturated fats, vitamins A and C, and fiber. They help brighten dull skin, smooth tone, and moisturize on a deep cellular level to prevent dryness which can lead to wrinkling. They help protect from sun damage and environmental pollutants and their fiber and lubricating oils help digestion which keeps your intestinal tract healthy and able to efficiently remove waste so your skin glows.





How I Like Them: Is this even a question? On EVERYTHING and ANYTHING. Smashed on toast with sea salt and pepper is quite a fav, though. As an egg and it's even more delictable.

2. ALMONDS- These little guys are one of the best edible sources of Vitamin E. Vitamin E is a strong antioxidant that is incredibly nourishing to the skin and protects it from those damaging UV rays. It also contains  monounsaturated fatty acids which moisturize the skin, keeping it hydrated and soft.



How I Like Them:  I like to eat them plain as an easy snack or my favorite way, in the form of almond butter. When buying almonds, look for raw or plain roasted- you don't want any added hydrogenated oils.


3. WALNUTS  Walnuts are awesome. Like salmon, walnuts have omega-3 fats that strengthen the membranes of your skin cells, increase moisture, and boost suppleness. They also reduce inflammation that causes acne or skin redness. 





How I Like Them: On oatmeal with banana, cinnamon and honey. Banana bread in a bowl, basically. YUM.


4. COCONUT OIL – There seems to be coconut cult following lately. And there's a good reason to hop on the band wagon. Coconut oil has benefits for so many things I could do a whole post on it, but I’ll focus on the skin for today. Coconut oil can be eaten or applied topically. Coconut oil has antimicrobial and antibacterial properties which help promote a healthy intestinal tract - Meaning it kills bad bacteria in the gut. When our intestines are happy and healthy, we are properly eliminating waste and not releasing toxins through the skin instead. This helps prevent acne and other skin problems. Additionally, it’s medium chain fatty acids are a great emollient for the skin and keep it supple. It can be used as a body moisturizer or hair mask. Its antioxidant properties also prevent the formation of free radicals that cause early aging.





How I Like It: I like to use coconut oil for cooking- I usually use it to sauté veggies! Its also good in place of butter on toast! I also use it as a moisturizer on my body (and as an eyelash conditioner) every night before I go to bed!


6. SALMON – This fish is one of the best food sources of omega-3 fatty acids. These fats avert fine lines and wrinkles by keeping your skin looking youthful, supple, and moisturized. They are also highly anti-inflammatory which reduces the body’s stress hormones and decreases clogged pores. Salmon also has selenium which is a mineral that protects from sun damage.




How I Like It:  Simply grilled or baked with lemon, salt, and pepper. It's so good it doesn't need to be fancy. It pairs really well with quinoa and asparagus too. ;)


7. BERRIES – Berries are known as the queen antioxidants! And for a reason!  Their pigment comes from a powerful antioxidant called anthocyanin which helps buffer and prevent damage from toxins and free radicals on the skin. They also contain ellagic acid, an antioxidant that fights the break down of elastin and collagen and protects from sun damage. They also provide a boatload of vitamin C which stimulates the production of collagen and elastin.




How I like them: I love them as a topping for greek yogurt or oatmeal. Also great smashed on peanut butter toast in replacement of sugary jelly.


8. SWEET POTATOES (ORANGE) – Orange sweet potatoes get their color from beta carotene (Vitamin A) which has major protective qualities from sun damage. Many popular anti-aging creams contain retinol which beta carotene is converted to. By eating foods rich in Vitamin A, you’re getting your retinol the best way possible. They’re also full of vitamin C which stimulates the production of collagen and elastin.
Sweet Potato
How I Like Them: Baked and topped with almond butter and cinnamon. DIVINE.
Or cut up into cubes, roasted, and seasoned with chili, cumin, and sea salt.

Okay! So those are my top foods for healthy skin! I seriously love all these, and they are all a regular part of my diet. Learn to incorporate a few, or all, of them, to reap the benefits of all those vitamins and healthy skin! Along with drinking plenty of water, these foods should help get your skin glowing from the inside out!

XoXo, 
Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment