Saturday, December 5, 2015

HEALTHY JAM THUMBPRINT COOKIES


















Ok. So it's officially Christmas cookie time. Every year my mom and I have always made a variety of Christmas cookies, and jam thumbprints have always been a favorite of mine. This year I wanted to try to make a healthier version of them, using whole, unprocessed ingredients. I've tried many paleo baking recipes in the past, and I've always loved them. I based this recipe on a previous cookie I've made and decided to add jam to make them the classic thumbprints. I knew they'd turn out good...but I didn't know how  delicious they'd be. They taste like the real thing! But honestly I like these better than cookies filled with flour and refined sugar because you don't gross after eating them. They have healthy fats and are lower in carbs than traditional cookies. Even my parents- who are hard to please with "healthy cookies"- loved them.

The base of the cookie is like a soft and chewy sugar cookie, and the center can be filled with any flavor of jam you like! Tonight I'm going to a Christmas cookie party that our church hosts every year, and I decided to take these! I think it's awesome to share a healthier recipe with people and surprise them out how good healthy can taste! Last year, my paleo snickerdoodles were a huge hit. Even though I love to make healthy cookies, don't be fooled- I'll definitely indulge in some not so healthy ones too... hehe. But how can you beat a cookie that tastes good and is good for you?!










HEALTHY JAM THUMBPRINT COOKIES
(makes 18 cookies)

INGREDIENTS:
  • 2 cups almond flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1 tablespoon unsweetened almond milk
  • 2 tablespoons of almond flour for finishing
  • your favorite jam

INSTRUCTIONS:
  1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. Combine the first three dry ingredients into a mixing bowl and whisk together.
  3. Then add coconut oil, honey, vanilla, and almond milk.
  4. Mix the batter with a spoon until it forms a dough. (If your batter is too wet - add a little more almond flour- or if it's too dry - add a little more almond milk.)
  5. This dough should make about 18 cookies. Roll each piece of dough into a small ball and dip one side of the ball into the almond flour that was set aside for finishing. This helps the jam stick later. Place the ball onto the cookie sheet with the side that was dipped in flour facing up.
  6. Press the ball down leaving a small indentation in the center of the cookie.
  7. Fill the indentation in the middle of the cookie with your favorite jam (I used raspberry!) I'm generous with the amount of jam because I love it! I'm guessing a little over a teaspoon in each, but you don't need to be exact.   
  8. Bake for 8-10 minutes. 
  9. When the cookies come out of the oven their texture will still be very soft. Don't let this fool you into baking them for longer! (trust me...I've made that mistake before) Transfer them to a cooling rack and allow them to cool completely. During the cooling process, they will firm up a little bit, but still remain soft and chewy. Just what we want! 
  10. Finish with a sprinkle of almond flour. 
  11. Then try one, give one (or not...) and enjoy with almond milk, coffee or tea! :)







































Boyfriend approved...




Let me know if you try out these healthy thumbprint cookies! 
Xoxo,
Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment