Monday, December 7, 2015

Paleo Gingersnaps



















Gingersnaps are a Christmas cookie classic. Since most cookies are filled with flour, gluten, and sugar -- things that I'm ok with in moderation but would be happier without... I've been experimenting with some paleo cookie recipes and loving them. These healthy version of gingersnaps are made with almond flour so they are grain free, naturally sweetened with honey (no refined sugar), and the blackstrap molasses actually adds a boost of iron, calcium, copper, magnesium and potassium! I made these, along with my paleo thumbprint cookies, to take to a Christmas cookie party at my church and they were a big hit! I'm all about balance, so of course I indulged in some not so healthy cookies, but I love to be able to have healthy ones to enjoy at home - knowing I'm putting good ingredients into my body and feel good after eating them!

Shoutout to the bf for helping me make these ;) and take some cute pics. Actually! I meant to tell y'all Hayden is diabetic so these are a much better option for him haha. But of couse that won't stop him from eating a plate of regular cookies. He did, however say these were really good! But his favorite were the jam thumbprints. He kept stealing them and I had to take them away before the cookie party. haha They're my favorite as well.. but I love these gingersnaps too! ;) Keep reading to find out how to make them!












































PALEO GINGERSNAPS
(makes 12 cookies)

INGREDIENTS
  • 1½ cups almond flour
  • 2 Tablespoons coconut oil, melted
  • ¼ cup pure maple syrup or honey
  • 1 Tablespoon blackstrap molasses
  • 2 teaspoons ground ginger
  • ½ teaspoon cinnamon
  • teaspoon fine sea salt
  • ¼ teaspoon baking soda
  • 3 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
  • 2 Tbs. coconut sugar, set aside for finishing

INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Combine all of the ingredients in a medium bowl, and mix until a thick batter is formed. Chill the batter for 30 minutes in the fridge, to make sure it's nice and firm before scooping.
  2. Preheat the oven to 350F and drop the batter by rounded tablespoons onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. 
  3. Using the back of a glass, or anything round and flat- dip the glass into the coconut sugar set aside and then press down on each cookie to flatten it. The coconut sugar adds such a great crystalized coating on top!
  4. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until firm around the edges, but still soft in the center.
  5. Allow to cool on the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely before serving.
I made this batch soft and chewy, but if you want a more crispy gingersnap, simply increase the baking time and press them into flatter shapes before baking.



























And that's it! I hope you enjoyed this simple and healthy gingersnap recipe! Let me know if you try it out!
xoxo,
Steph



No comments:

Post a Comment