There's nothing like a nice big bowl of chili on a chilly fall day! Instead of meat, I added extra beans and quinoa to really "beef" up the recipe! Without any meat, this recipe still has a whopping 10-13 grams of protein per bowl! Usually chili isn't associated with the words healthy or "clean", and certainly not vegan. However, the whole family can enjoy this chili totally guilt free! So if your vegan, or just want a healthier chili, your going to love this super easy recipe!
Vegan Quinoa Chili
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1/2 to 1 chopped onion
- 3-5 cloves of garlic
- 1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 14 oz jar of your favorite organic salsa
- 3 cans of beans of choice: I like to use one of each of the following (for more color): black, red kidney, and white/canelli beans
- 2 cups cooked quinoa **
- 1 Tbs. chili powder
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon (optional, but I think it gives it a little extra "somethin")
- *Vegetable broth- use as needed to thin out the chili. I start with 1/2 a cup and add more if needed. This depends on how thick you like it. I reccomend looking for an organic low sodium broth.
** I usually have a big pit of quinoa already cooked up for the week in the fridge, but if you don't- just follow the regular cooking time for quinoa, then add to your chili. :)
1. First sautée the onion and garlic in the olive oil in a large pit until golden.
2. Add all the other ingredients and stir well.
3. Continue to cook on medium heat until everything is mixed well and heated through.
4. Add your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Some of My Favorite Healthy Toppings!
- Chopped Onion
- Greek Yogurt (healthy sour cream alternative and not vegan haha)
- Shredded Cheese (again not vegan, and don't go crazy with it! Haha)
Enjoy with some Mary's Gone organic wheat free crackers! They're gluten free, vegan, non-GMO and are made with great ingredients like flax and quinoa!
Hope you enjoy! Tag me on Instagram if you try it out!