Sunday, February 8, 2015

How I Eat Healthy When I Travel.


Do you ever worry about what there's gonna be to eat when your on the road or at a hotel?? You may think it's hard to say on track and eat healthy when you travel, but it's actually pretty simple.

This weekend I was out of town for a golf tournament, and I can honesty say I ate healthy, are delicious food, and enjoyed myself.

I think the trick is to know you'll be out of your "normal" schedule and eating routine, and adjust. Do the best you can! 

When you're at a restaurant, or buffet, choose the healthiest option you can, that still sounds good to you! Never order a salad just beause its "lower calories" than the burger. If you really want the burger- get it! But most of the time, you're just gonna feel better when you stick to real, whole foods. 

I'm all about treating yourself, but...its totally possible to eat healthy when ordering out.

Here's a few tips and ideas:

* DON' T WORRY ABOUT CALORIES! Eating healthy doesn't mean a number of calories or carbs or whatever. Listen to your body. If you're on vacation, you want to enjoy it. Think of these tips to eat healthy as tips to feel good, NOT look good..

* When in doubt- a protein and veggies are the way too! Almost every place has fish, steak, or chicken. Order veggies on the side and you have a high protein, low carb, lean meal

* At a burger place? Maybe try skipping the bun. You can still enjoy the flavor of the burger + toppings without the extra (refined)carbs from the bun.

*Don't fear healthy fats! They do so much good for your body. Fat is waaaay better than sugar. So a salad with an olive oil dressing, almonds, and avocado is not bad! Healthy fats > carbs is a good rule of thumb. (Not that carbs are "bad" haha)

* For breakfastskip sugary cereals and choose oatmeal if you can. It's low in sugar and higher in fiber, so it'll keep you fuller way longer. Next, add some protein. I carry little ziplock bags of Quest protein to mix in oatmeal if there's no other protein sources (like eggs or yogurt) available.

*If you want something sweet... a big cup of fruit is a lot better then waffles or pancakes!

*Carry travel packets of stevia to sweeten your coffee or tea!

*Don't freak out if there's not your idea of perfect options...a little added sugar here or fat there won't kill Ya!

My Go-To Travel Snacks:
*Nuts
*Trail Mix
*Quest Bars (or other bars)
*Bananas
*almond/peanut butter squeeze packs


Some meals I had this weekend:


Dinner: Grilled Vegetable Chopped Salad with Grilled Chicken, bacon, avocado, and a lemon vinaigrette. SO GOOD! I got it the next day after my round too!



Breakfast before my second golf round on Sunday. At the hotel:
A veggie eggwhite omelette with a little cheese. (They omlette guy used tons of oil. At first I was thinking "ugh..he just ruined the pint of eggwhites with all that extra fat." But no, it was healthy. It was yummy. Moved on.) ,A cup of oatmeal with Quest chocolate protein mixed in, a side of pineapple, and coffee with cream  and Stevia.
This meal has protein, plenty of carbs, and fats to fuel me up for a long day!



Dinner on the way home (at some RANDOM diner!! Lol) : Grilled chicken, sautéed veggies and tons of avocado. Surprisingly, this meal tasted SO good. Ya can't go wrong with avocado on ANYTHING. 

 I hope you guys enjoyed this post and found it helpful. A lifestyle if all about balance! Let me know what other health posts you'd like to see!
Xoxo,
Stephanie

Connect With Me!
♡Instagram:

♡Twitter:

♡CONTACT ME:






No comments:

Post a Comment