We've all heard it a million times... "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day." I think every meal is just as important, because we need energy all day long, but it is very important to have that first meal for many reasons:
- Starts Up Your Metabolism! Your metabolism (the rate your body burns energy) is like a fire. It's gotta get started to keep burning. Having breakfast starts that "fire." It doesn't have to be something big if you don't like a big breakfast. It's just important that you have something!
- Keeps Cravings At Bay! Studies have shown that people that eat breakfast crave less junk food later in the day. I find this very true for myself. If I skip breakfast, I will end up crazing sweets and sugary foods for quick energy.
- Brain Fuel to Start The Day! I don't know about you... but it's hard for me to concentrate without any fuel in my system. If you're a student, how can your brain perform it's best with no fuel to give you energy? If you work early in the morning, how can you get through hours of work without some fuel to focus? Regardless of what you'll be doing, all activities require energy! We get energy from calories, aka food!
- Always have a protein! Protein is the building blocks of our muscles! It does so much... from building and preserving muscle, keeps your hair strong, your heart beating, and it requires energy to break down- so it keeps your metabolism on fire. Here's some healthy breakfast protein options:
- Egg whites or eggs
- Plain greek yogurt
- Protein Powders
- Turkey Bacon
- Choose complex carbs! Complex carbs are different from simple carb, meaning they take longer for your body to break down, not spiking your blood sugar, and give you more lasting energy. Fruit is totally fine!! But it does have more sugar, so pair it with a complex carb:
- Bread (choose something like Ezekiel bread that is high in fiber)
- Sweet Potatoes (these roasted go great with eggs! kind of like hash browns would!)
- Granola (just make sure you choose one with low sugar and made from clean ingredients.)
- Fats are your friend! Fat is the basis of our cells. We need fat to function! Healthy fats are important for your brain, skin, nails, and hair. They also keep you full! Here's some options:
- Avocado (avocado toast anyone?? Pair with toast and eggs and bam! there's your 3 perfect components!)
- Peanut Butter
- Almond Butter
- Coconut Oil
- Whole Eggs
Now That you know my ways to make breakfast balanced, let me know if these tips help you make a more balanced healthy breakfast! Tag me on Instagram @beautyandbananas!